Thursday 17 November 2016

Attitude by Charles Swindoll

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” 

This poem has worked marvellously specially with seventeen year-old teens since they are going through the process of finding their true being and are often asked to accept more responsibilities. 

First, we read it aloud till (. . . ) home." and we comment on its messages. Then, we read it all till the end and I ask my students to provide real life examples/ anecdotes connected with the different ideas displayed throughout the poem. Finally, I give the teens these questions below for them to asnwer individually in a written form. 

Try and then tell me. I can assure you it will be an amazing experience ;)   

  • What is attitude to you?
  • Do you agree that “attitude is more important than successes”?Why?
  • How do the following attitudes influence you? what other people say about me/ what other people think about me/ what other people do to me. (Put them in order of how much they influence you)
  • How can attitude break a home?
  • How have the attitudes you took in the past changed you so far? (you may include some examples)
  • What is your attitude towards someone who inevitably “acts a certain way” ?
  • “I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. “ Do you agree with this phrase?

No comments:

Post a Comment