Saturday 21 May 2016

Adolescents. Why I choose to teach them.

"Why does LOVE hurt? "
"Do you like cheese?" (when discussing about slavery )
"Would you like to have children some day?"
"why do you even care to teach me?" 
"Why is your face a square?" 

These are some of the amazing, deep and sincere questions I have had the pleasure to be addressed to when teaching adolescents. . . I believe that when our soul is ready, we find the path we are to walk.
My path in teaching adolescents began quite a few years ago and It has not been easy just because life is difficult for an adolescent. . . They undergo so many deep and hurtful changes that they simply cannot help it; To that, we may add absent parents or economic issues and bingo!! 

After many stomach-aches, tears and self-discoveries, It dawned on me that if I opened my heart to their silent suffering in a compassionate way, I would be able to send a sign: "hey, I know. . . It is not easy but stay with me; I understand; It will be over. I promise." Once that intangible sign was sent, everything changed for good :) 

Yes, I know what you might be thinking: "despite a teacher's predispositions, adolescents insult, do not appreciate our classes, neither listen nor study!!" and that is sometimes true in fact ;) but I teach in spite of that; I go for that soul who is struggling to , at least, understand what is going on; to that wonderful being who after having said tremendous bad words to you , comes to you and asks if you could forgive him ' cause he is not actually angry at you but at his dad. . . 

But most of all, I choose to teach adolescents because I have faith in their future; whether they become an honest builder or an extraordinary astronomer. I trust them; I trust they will overcome that phase and become warm-hearted adults. That is why I teach adolescents. 



No comments:

Post a Comment